2012 Thru the Front View Mirror
December 27, 2011 1 Comment
All leaders want to look forward and see what’s coming on the horizon. Every year I write 5 to 7 goals for myself in several categories: spiritual, financial, marriage & family, career, personal. I like to think, envision and dream about the future. If you don’t have a target, you’ll hit it everytime.
For 2011, I met 5 of my 7 goals (71.4%). Not too bad. Those were:
- Spiritual: Finish Bethany Bapt Church well.
- Financial: Wipe out medical and credit card debt and pay for everyone’s (Jennifer, Isaac and Ethan) school tuition in cash.
- Parenting: Build the boys a tree fort and have a camp out.
- Personal: Get below 170 lbs for the first time since we were married.
- Marital: Determine Jennifer’s career re-entry plan.
I didn’t complete two goals: 1) career – find a publisher for Theology 4 Kids (my book). I was turned down 3x’s. Stink! Or 2) financial – buy a new car in cash. Both vehicles are still running fine and didn’t need replacing, which I am very thankful for.
So what’s on the horizon for 2012. Here’s the list.
- Spiritual: Finish Lancaster Bapt well. Ending an interim pastorate is like landing a plane on an air craft carrier. You have to do it perfectly or a lot of people get hurt. This will be my 4th landing.
- Financial: Knock out a huge chunk of Jennifer’s Ph.D. tuition, maybe the whole thing in one year. That would means a lot of extra work. Summer school here I come.
- Marital: Celebrate our 10 year anniversary in a big way. Can we say Honeymoon 2.0?
- Parenting: Read all the Gospels to my boys. We are halfway thru the 7 Chronicles of Narnia books and it is going really well.
- Career: Find a publisher and get a contract on the book. Gotta keep pushing and seeking the right fit for this project.
- Personal: Travel on the Apostles & Epistles Tour to Turkey & Greece. This will complete my biblical lands cycle (e.g., Israel, Egypt, Rome, Italy, and Jordan).
- Personal: Select a charity and get involved at a higher level. Preferably something the whole family can volunteer in and support from our community.
What’s your goals for 2012?